The President’s Flag
Learn about Presidential Flags
This exhibit, the first of its kind in the United States, expands on the Eisenhower Oval Office Presidential Flag Exhibit at the Museum in October 2012, where the authentic hand embroidered 48, 49, and 50-star presidential flags were on display.
The President’s Flag
This new permanent exhibit is located in a newly remodeled room made possible with an Unrestricted Grant from the Polk County Community Foundation (PCCF). Construction materials, mounted photo enlargements, informative placards, with museum-quality display walls, lighting, and exhibit booklets for visitors were all made possible with a PCCF grant.
Photographs of this historic exhibit are currently on display along with an evolving 300-page manuscript of the only book ever written on the “Evolution of the United States’ Presidential Flags 1817 to 1960” by Robert Williamson, Museum Curator/Director.
See Video Here
The exhibit highlights the Genealogy of the Flag of the President of the United States of America starting with the unusual George Washington’s Headquarters Flag from 1777.
Visitors will see authentic reproductions including a proposed 1817 President’s flag, the Navy’s first president’s flag from 1882 (with an error that lasted until 1903), and the two different president’s flags that confused Teddy Roosevelt in 1901.
Flag Design Process
1945 was the most involved presidential flag design process in history resulting in the president’s flag design we have today.
Visitors will see President Truman most unusual requests for a new 1945 president’s flag – that never happened – and wonder “what was he thinking?”
Photos of the many different artists proposals for a new 1945 president’s flags from the Truman Presidential Library and Museum are on display.
Woodrow Wilson's 1916 Flag
Woodrow Wilson’s new president’s flag in 1916, designed with the help of his Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Franklin D. Roosevelt, long before FDR became President is also on display.
Oddly enough, in 1945 FDR thought his four-star president’s flag from 1916 was outranked by his new five-star generals and admirals.
The House of Flags Museum is open Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am to 1pm and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm.
Group tours on other days can be arranged by contacting the museum volunteers at 828-894-5640 or email to email@example.com. Admission is always free, but donations are appreciated. Visit www.houseofflags.org for more information.
For additional information contact Robert M. Williamson, Director, House of Flags Museum by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by mail at PO Box 70, Columbus, NC 28722 phone messages can be left at 828-894-5640